APPROVAL OF PARTS AND APPLIANCES
Replacement and modification parts
21.09.1 (1) Subject to the provisions of sub-regulation (2), no person shall produce a modification or replacement part for sale for installation on a type certificate product unless such modification or replacement part is produced pursuant to a ZA-PMA issued under this subpart.
(2) The provisions of sub-regulation (1) shall not apply in respect of –
parts produced under a type certificate;
parts produced by an owner or operator for maintaining its own product;
parts produced under ZA-TSO; or
standard parts conforming to established civil aviation industry or South African civil aviation specifications.
Inspections and tests
21.09.2 (1) An applicant for the issuing of a ZA-PMA shall carry out all inspections and tests which may be necessary to determine –
compliance with the appropriate airworthiness design standards referred to in regulation 21.02.3
that the materials conform to the specifications in the design;
that the part conforms to the drawings in the design; and
that the manufacturing processes, construction and assembly conform to those processes specified in the design.
(2) Unless authorised by the Commissioner –
no part shall be presented to the Commissioner for an inspection or test unless compliance with the provisions of sub-regulation (1)(b) and (d) has been proven for such part; and
no change shall be made to a part between the time that compliance with the provisions of sub-regulation (1)(b) and (d) is proven for the part, and the time that such part is presented to the Commissioner for the inspection or test.
(3) The applicant shall establish a manufacturing inspection system to ensure that each completed part conforms to its design data and is safe for installation on appropriate type certified products.
Application for ZA-PMA
21.09.3 (1) Any manufacturer who has been approved by the Commissioner in terms of Part 148, may apply for a ZA-PMA.
(2) An application for the issuing of a ZA-PMA shall be –
made to the Commissioner in the appropriate form as prescribed in Document SA-CATS-AR; and
accompanied by –
drawings and specifications necessary to show the configuration of the part;
information on dimensions, materials and processes necessary to define the structural strength of the part;
test reports and computations necessary to show that the design of the part complies with the airworthiness design standards referred to in regulation 21.02.3 applicable to the product on which the part is to be installed, unless the applicant shows that the design of the part is identical to a part which is covered under a type certificate;
if the design of the part was obtained by a licensing agreement, a copy of such agreement; and
the appropriate fee as prescribed in Part 187.
Issuing of ZA-PMA
21.09.4 (1) Subject to the provisions of sub-regulation (2), an application in terms of regulation 21.09.3 shall be granted and a ZA-PMA issued if –
the Commissioner is satisfied, upon examination of the design and the results of all inspections and tests, that the design complies with the airworthiness design standards referred to in regulation 21.02.3, applicable to the product on which the part is to be installed; and
the applicant submits a statement certifying that the manufacturing inspection system referred to in regulation 21.09.2(3), has been established.
(2) The Commissioner shall not issue a ZA-PMA if the manufacturing facility for the part is located outside the Republic, unless the Commissioner is satisfied that the location of such a facility will not impede the administration of the appropriate airworthiness requirements prescribed in this part.
Duties of holder of ZA-PMA
21.09.5 The holder of a ZA-PMA shall –
maintain the manufacturing inspection system referred to in regulation 21.09.2(3);
notify the Commissioner in writing, within 14 days from the date on which the manufacturing facility for the part concerned, was relocated or expanded to include additional facilities at other locations, of such relocation or expansion; and
determine that each completed part conforms to the approved design data and is safe for installation on type certificated products.
Transferability and period of validity
21.09.6 (1) A ZA-PMA issued in terms of regulation 21.09.4 shall
not be transferable; and
be valid until it is surrendered by the holder thereof, or is suspended by an airworthiness inspector, or cancelled by the Commissioner, in terms of regulation 21.01.6.
(2) The holder of a ZA-PMA which is suspended, shall forthwith produce the approval upon suspension thereof, to the airworthiness inspector concerned for the appropriate endorsement.
(3) The holder of a ZA-PMA which is cancelled, shall within 30 days from the date on which the approval is cancelled, surrender such approval to the Commissioner.
This legislation service maintained and powered by LexisNexis