TYPE OF ACCEPTANCE CERTIFICATES
Categories of type acceptance certificates
21.04.1 The categories of type acceptance certificates are –
standard category type acceptance certificate for a Class I product to be imported into the Republic; and
restricted category type acceptance certificate for a Class 1 product to be imported into the Republic.
Application for type acceptance certificate
21.04.2 An application for the issuing of a type acceptance certificate for a Class 1 product shall be –
made to the Commissioner in the appropriate form as prescribed in Document SA-CATS-AR; and
accompanied by –
the appropriate fee as prescribed in Part 187; and
proof of compliance with the provisions of regulations 21.04.3 and 21.04.4.
Airworthiness design standards
21.04.3 An applicant for the issuing of a type acceptance certificate for a Class I product shall provide the Commissioner with proof that –
the product complies with the appropriate airworthiness design standards referred to in regulation 21.02.3, effective at the date assigned in the foreign type certificate or an equivalent document, unless another date is specified by the Commissioner;
the product complies with any special conditions prescribed by the Commissioner in terms of regulation 21.02.13;
any airworthiness design standards not complied with are compensated for by factors providing an equivalent level of safety; and
feature or characteristic of the product makes it unsafe for the intended use.
21.04.4 (1) An applicant for the issuing of a type acceptance certificate for a Class I product shall provide the Commissioner with –
proof that the type design has been approved by the appropriate authority of the exporting State by the issuing of a type certificate or an equivalent document;
details of the airworthiness design standards complied with, for the issuing of the type certificate referred to in paragraph (a), including –
the airworthiness design standards;
the effective date of such standards;
any special conditions imposed under the foreign type certification;
any requirements not complied with and any compensating factors providing an equivalent level of safety; and
any airworthiness limitations;
a list identifying the data submitted for the issuing of the type certificate referred to in paragraph (a), showing compliance with the appropriate airworthiness design standards;
a certified true copy of the flight manual approved under a foreign type certificate or, if the appropriate design standards do not require a flight manual to be provided, a flight manual which complies with the standards as prescribed in Document SA-CATS-AR;
the illustrated parts catalogue; and
if required by the Commissioner –
the maintenance manual for the product;
current service information issued by the manufacturer of the product; and
proof that the manufacturer has agreed to provide the Commissioner with a certified true copy of all amendments and re-issues of the documents referred to in paragraph (d), (e) and (f).
(2) The Commissioner may specify the range of serial numbers or models of products to which the application relates, or redefine the applicability of the certificate if the provisions of this regulation and regulation 21.04.3 are complied with in respect of any additional product.
Issuing of type acceptance certificate
21.04.5 (1) An application in terms of regulation 21.04.2 shall be granted and a type acceptance certificate for a Class I product issued if the applicant complies with the provisions of regulations 21.04.3 and 21.04.4.
(2) A type acceptance certificate may be issued in both the standard and restricted categories referred to in regulation 21.04.1, if the provisions of regulations 21.04.3 and 21.04.4 for each category are complied with.
(3) A restricted category type acceptance certificate shall specify the operational purposes for which the product is certificated.
Form of type acceptance certificate
21.04.6 A type acceptance certificate shall be issued on the appropriate form a prescribed in Document SA-CATS-AR.
Period of validity
21.04.7 (1) A type acceptance certificate shall be valid until it is surrendered by the holder thereof, or is suspended by an airworthiness inspector, or cancelled by the Commissioner, in terms of regulation 21.01.6.
(2) The holder of a type acceptance certificate which is suspended, shall forthwith produce the type acceptance certificate upon suspension thereof, to the airworthiness inspector concerned for the appropriate endorsement.
(3) The holder of a type acceptance certificate which is cancelled, shall, within 30 days from the date on which the type acceptance certificate is cancelled, surrender such type acceptance certificate to the Commissioner.
Duty of holder of type acceptance certificate
21.04.8 The holder of a type acceptance certificate shall keep the original type acceptance certificate in a safe place and produce such certificate to an airworthiness inspector for inspection if so requested by such inspector.
This legislation service maintained and powered by LexisNexis