Prior to making any application with SACAA, you will be required to obtain aviation training at an approved training organisation (ATO).
The following requirements are compulsory.
* See Part 101 Civil Aviation Regulations (CARs) and Civil Aviation Technical Standards (CATS) for complete list of requirements
Prior learning will be recognised and applies to and including the following:
A person who holds or has held:
1. A Pilot Licence. 2. A military qualification equivalent to a licence and rating; or 3. An air traffic control licence, or a military qualification equivalent to an air traffic control licence.4. Commercial air unmanned aircraft operations experience
1. A Pilot Licence.
2. A military qualification equivalent to a licence and rating; or
3. An air traffic control licence, or a military qualification equivalent to an air traffic control licence.
4. Commercial air unmanned aircraft operations experience
* RPAS training in South Africa is still in its infancy, as it is globally. The South African Civil Aviation Authority is working closely with industry to develop the training standards, syllabus and resources necessary for the industry to expand and grow professionally.
The course is competency based and comprises of a combination of theory and practical training. Upon successful completion of the course, the provider will apply to SACAA for a Remote Pilot Licence (RPL).
Technical Guidance Material
View the TGM for Personnel Licensing by clicking here.
Information for owners & operators
Registration of RPAS
Letter of approval for the RPA
RPAS pilot licensing
RPAS operators certificate
Sale and resale of RPAS
RPAS Operators (ROC/RTO)